expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday 16 October 2013

A trip to the theatre

This weekend we went to Manchester, and covered those 183 plus miles to stay with Emma.

Apart from seeing Em the main reason to visit was a trip to the theatre to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This theatre is special, it's the theatre that inspired my love of plays, where I first had that moment watching a play when you are so transfixed you don't want it to end, of sitting hanging on to every word. Walking back in the memories come flooding back, of trips with my parents, school and friends, and of scenes that have taken the audience to a different place.

It's also in the round, intimate, small and in amazing building that used to be the exchange in Manchester.The building is one that you walk in and can feel the history in the walls, plus get a buzz of what's going on there today. The lighting is beautiful, as your eyes are drawn upwards.




We saw an Arthur Miller play, who also happens to be my favourite playwright. I love the hidden undercurrents all his plays have, the family tension and most of all the exposure of broken ideals. At heart I'm still an idealistic art student, and his plays always makes me think, and that's what I love about art, the capturing of emotions, the desire to be more.

I 'll leave you with some Arthur Miller, from All my Sons, to get your creative side going for the night, and thinking about your star.


“...he'll come back. We all come back, kate. These private little revolutions always die. The compromise is always made. In a peculiar way. Frank is right-- every man does have a star. The star of one's honesty. And you spend your life groping for it, but once it's out it never lights again. I don't think he went very far. He probably just wanted to be alone to watch his star go out.” 



Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment